This is one of my favorite comfort foods. Nothing is quite as satisfying as briny clams, with its broth enveloping a bed of pasta. Top it with fresh Parmesan cheese and Italian parsley… mangia, mangia!
- Scrub clean your fresh clams. Keep in cold water until ready to cook. Do not use clams that have already opened.
- Chop fresh Italian parsley and set aside.
- Chop several cloves of fresh garlic and an onion or shallot.
- In one pot, get salted, hot water going for your pasta. Linguine is the common option, but I like to use spaghetti so the pasta is not as thick.
- In a second large pot, saute the garlic and onions in EVOO and add some red pepper flakes and salt. Don’t over cook this. Add a bottle of white wine (Pinot Grigio is a good choice) on top.
- When the wine is at a low boil, drop in your clams and place a lid on the pot. This is probably a good time to add your pasta to your other pot.
- You will know the clams are done when they open. Do not eat any clams that don’t open.
- Marry the cooked pasta into the clam broth pot. Use a little pasta water is you want to thin out the broth.
- Take it off the heat and then drop a bunch of Parmesan cheese and your chopped parsley on top.
Serve with a hunk of bread and a glass of white wine!