Thanks to Good Day Rochester (Fox / 13 WHAM TV) for having me on to share tips for a better burger (Labor Day 2016 episode). I highlighted this burger while sharing three top tips:
- Mix your Meats – combine half ground beef with another choice (ground turkey, chicken, lamb, pork, or even pureed mushrooms). Season your meat liberally.
- Buns Matter – make a compound butter (softened butter with salt and fresh chopped herbs) to smear on your bun. Toast your buttered bun before serving. Seeded or unseeded is totally your call.
- Use Cast Iron – nothing wrong with grilling your burgers, but a hot cast iron pan keeps all the flavor intact and gives you a great crispy outside edge.
Here is a link to the news segment: http://foxrochester.com/news/good-day-rochester/cooking-tips-from-york-schools-superintendent
I entered this burger into the Great American Backyard Burger and Rib Festival. It was held in downtown Rochester on August 22, 2015. My Murray Hill Italian Burger tied for second place!
My burger consisted of:
- Fresh 80/20 Ground Beef mixed with Italian Sausage
- Slice of Mozzarella Cheese
- Heirloom Tomato
- Balsamic Reduction
- Crispy Parmesan Frico
- Soft Italian Roll Toasted with Garlic Butter
- Basil Pesto on both sides of the bun
It was a great, fun competition on a beautiful summer day.